Wednesday, September 20, 2006
I've had a secret: they call it M.I.R.L.
I have a confession


I've been keeping a secret, a special bloggy secret with a special bloggy name: MIRL.

Yes. I had a Meeting In Real Life with the lovely Pea Soup in Sydney Airport last Friday night.

Who knew there were good things about being close to the flight path? Here's the main one: when an un-met friend emails you on the off-chance that you live close enough to the airport to meet her during a one-hour stopover on her way to her aunt's funeral.

And I do. And we did.


And what with Sydney traffic being a nightmare and me being late, and what with them cunningly hiding anything that might look like an open bar, it ended up being less than an hour before the boarding call, even with Suse boldly ignoring the first call...



We got the very last two mini bottles of these available in the airport. But the man had put all the glasses in the dishwasher. So...


















And we swapped real names for our pseudonym children and husbands. And we talked of this and that, and books and knitting, and then there was no more time for defiance of boarding calls and we promised there would be a next time, and for longer.

And I decided to sit for a bit. Because it's quiet at the airport after the bar has closed. And we had an extra child at our house. And the lights out the window were very pretty.




















And there was still a bit more wine left in the cup. Couldn't waste it, now could I?

















And why did I keep it a secret until now?

Well, because Suse was travelling for sombre reasons and it didn't seem appropriate to take that situation and turn it into
GLOATING GLOATING GLOATING BECAUSE I GOT TO MEET A BLOGGER IN REAL LIFE AND IT WAS GREAT!

But now she's back, and we're Out. And now you know everything.

mtc
Bec


Posted by Picasa


18 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Louise said...

Thank you for doing that. We need each other so much and I am glad you were able to share wine with Suse.

Blogger KPB said...

I'm so excited you guys got to play at the airport! YIPPEEEE.

Although she looks thin. And groovy.

Blogger Joke said...

I figure if we give plate tectonics an even chance, eventually we'll all be 2 hours from each other.

-J., who can't believe he lives on a planet where it can be 9am in one place and 11pm in another.

Blogger Suse said...

It WAS great, wasn't it? And next time it will be LONGER. And I will get to finish my wine.

Kim, don't fret. My thighs are not thin.

Blogger Badger said...

Okay, I'm a little afraid that Blackbird will put a hit out on you now, out of jealousy and all. But it sounds way fun! (Er, the meeting Suse and the wine and stuff. Not the hitman.)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely occasion! How nice to have the opportunity to meet!

Blogger MsCellania said...

And I am pea soup green with envy. You guys are lucky, lucky, lucky to meet.

Blogger BabelBabe said...

If ever I am flying thru Sydney airport....I am so emailing you. But I'll bring some wine glasses...

Blogger Lynne@Oberon said...

So tell me, as lovely as it must be to meet an internet blogging pal ... is it also really scary???

Blogger LBA said...

How lovely neither of you turned out to be stalking pyscho axe-murderers ( right ? )

Sounds fun :)

Blogger lazy cow said...

Isn't she great? Even though I've done it too I still felt envious (ridiculous). Are you stilll coming to Melb at some stage? (I haven't forgotten!)

Blogger Blue Moon Girl said...

That is so awesome, Bec! I hope that it is for a longer time and under happier circumstances when you meet next time!

Blogger Bec said...

gloat, gloat, gloat...


ok, gotta stop that now.

Yes it was totally excellent. No, I was only slight nervy but perhaps because the day had been one of head-spinning busy-ness and priority-juggling. If I'd had more time to think about it I'd have taken a weapon of some kind because you can tell from all those pics of Suse's feet that she has potentially lethal calves.

As it is, I'm glad I've been carrying knitting needles everywhere because if what Badger says is right, I'll be looking over my shoulder for swarthy Tuvaluan hitmen for the rest of my days.

LC - January is still a possible Vic visit because we'll be too poor to have a 'real' holiday and will have to do something that makes use of the Prof's free petrol - plus two of my Melbourne cousins have new babies I've never seen, and the chance to snuggle someone else's baby is not to be passed up, is it?

watch this space for news of the Ladies Lounge making a Southern Odyssey...

Blogger nutmeg said...

I'm glad your meeting went well. I was busily "checking out" your reflection in the airport window. Would I know you if I passed you on the street? Probably not - a very tantalising glimpse though. Hi Pea Soup if your reading - you do look very hip and happening; they are very chic "airplane clothes"!

Blogger Bec said...

I wondered if it was obvious enough! I had fun compensating for reflections and light and flash...

You note, I expose my children for copy and pasting by every pervert in cyberspace but keep my own pic to a cartoon mugshot or a blurry, camera-obscured reflection? Yes, well, you don't think I want the pervs coming after ME, do you?*



*this is, of course, just a joke in very poor taste. The Evil Twin would very quickly dispatch any pervert who came her way (we sacrificed a rooster just last night so her powers are very high right now) and I'm pretty sure all the real pervs are hanging out over at Suburban Turmoil where Lucinda is letting rip on toddler beauty pageants (and if you want to see REALLY poor taste, check out Lucinda's links and see what some of these horror parents are doing to their babies)

Blogger Em said...

Wow ... I wonder if I'll ever meet a real life blogger? Being based in Adelaide has it disadvantages...

Blogger Bec said...

There's always holidays - Let us know if you're ever in Sydney!

Blogger MaR said...

Excellent!! I have only met ONE fellow blogger, and you can even find out who it was if you quickly come over, lol. Have a great day!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer