Tuesday, September 19, 2006
The Story of a Wet Weekend - or - the Perils of the Pea Princess - or - Why a Digital Camera is a Mum's Best Friend
Readers of the Ladies Lounge have not heard so much about the Pea Princess lately. Those who travelled here via Glamorouse may remember some snippets, like, for instance, the reason she is known so aptly as the Pea Princess (in real life and long before Blogland).

The eldest child, she comes with a manual. It's a large manual and requires constant and sometimes surprising updates. The best way to keep on top of the many rules required in the care and feeding of a Pea Princess is to focus on the big red warning on the front cover of the manual:
CAUTION:
SENSITIVE
MATERIAL
INSIDE

So when, on a recent wet weekend, the innocent indoor activity of muffin making took a wrong turn and the muffin mix exploded all over the Pea Princess' favourite jumper (and dress, and face, and hair, and floor...) the sensitivity alarms went off.

And I, being a Mother of Invention, grabbed the camera.



















If you look closely at her cheek, you will see I wasn't quite fast enough, but the smile came through in the end.

























The Gorgeous Boy, he likes the camera too.




















The Sparkle Twin did her usual, which is to say she waited til all the larger, noisier and older (by four years and one minute, respectively) children were occupied in a major drama and then grabbed the best job for herself.






















But then, since Sparkle doesn't actually eat muffins but is happy to help make them, the other two muffin-eaters can hardly begrudge her the nicest part of the process, can they?

mtc
Bec Posted by Picasa


14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum!!!

Blogger Joke said...

That's some impressive genetic voodoo you've managed to send forth one generation.

-J.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a manual?!

Why wasn't I told, when I got handed my screaming pea princess for the first time?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are the best pictures from childhood, and the tears in the flower, yet amidst a big smile are just precious.

How gorgeous, your children. Truly gorgeous. :)

Blogger Badger said...

The pea princess and my girl child would get along so well, if they ever met.

Blogger Bec said...

Joke - we're all about the voodoo, here in the House of the Ladies Lounge.

Shula, Hi! and yes! All the tricky ones come with a manual but it starts out so small it's impossible to read and grows with the child. So many midwives have written their own books now that they often won't tell you about the freebie: sneaky cows.

Sueeeus, am basking in the reflected glow of my kidlets' beauty - but you do pretty well there too, yes?

Badger, I have had the same thoughts when reading about your girl child. There may be a divine plan in keeping Sydney and Austin so far apart.

Pea Princess, ok, ok, I let you comment now go and DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

Blogger Blue Moon Girl said...

I LOVE those pictures! I really love the Pea Princess' comment! Too cute!

I love how Sparkle Twin is grinning at the camera with the princess dress (I think?) on!

It looks like you had fun, though it could have gone differently!

Blogger Bec said...

Thanks BMG - you can see why we call her Sparkle, yes? Actually, I used to call her the Evil Twin but then the PP started telling her friends about it and it became necessary to re-badge her. She remains the Evil Twin by nature, sparkling all the while...

Blogger My float said...

Exploding muffin mix? HA! I would have love to have seen that!

Blogger Em said...

My boy comes with one of those labels on the front cover of his manual... *sigh* Glad you managed to stop the tears!

Blogger Blue Moon Girl said...

Oooo, quite the child there, Bec! An evil, sparkley twin. Wow! Good luck with that! ;o) and I can tell why you call her Sparkle!

Blogger Blue Moon Girl said...

Oh yeah, I almost forgot! Thanks for blaming me for your sinus sniffles. Although that is pretty amazing that I managed to get them to travel all the way around the world!

Blogger nutmeg said...

I think I need to go back and have a look at your posts at Glamorouse - it is always refreshing to know there are more "pea princesses" out there. Shula's comment made me realise that I was pretty sure I had a "pea princess" of my own as soon as she was handed over too! They keep you on your toes and so much more ;-)

Blogger meggie said...

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer