Friday, June 16, 2006
Kowabunga!


First up this Friday - an early Sunday confession: I knit.

Furthermore, I thought it would be such a good incentive to knit something for myself this year that I joined the Pearl Buck Swing Jacket Knitalong.

After lots of delays, include a few days of stage fright when I finally had all the goodies together, I finally got started this week and have been perfecting the art of bus knitting.

For anyone else keen to look like a dork on public transport, the trick is to make sure there is no one sitting on your right side, that way you can keep your left needle almost motionless and not worry about gouging someone's eye out with the right.

I started, for no particular reason, on the left front piece:

















My Float's reaction was something like this:

"My God woman! Are you just the world's worst over-achiever ever?"

Closely followed by "You have three kids, and you work in an office, and you're doing up a house and you still have time to knit! Do you ever sleep?" (My Float is prone to italicising when excited).

Then she wound up with my favourite line ever, "I don't know how you do it!"

And my response, as ever, is: "I don't."

Because you see, and here is the real confession: I have totally wimped it on the pattern's zig zag edging. It would mean carrying around a cable needle (small, pointy both ends) and then I'd be losing it and dropping it on the bus and losing count and having to pay attention to the pattern and, quite frankly, I can't be bothered.

So, you see, I'm not an over-achiever at all.

*****




*****
Further to yesterday, this morning the Gorgeous Boy's cough woke him just before 7am so I had no qualms about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle viewing. Except...



...surely it can't be good for you to fight the swamp monster before breakfast?










Mind you, we've got some pretty tough dudes on our side...















I think I remember why I had previously banned morning television.

mtc
bec


8 Comments:

Blogger mathomhouse said...

I didn't bother with a cable needle. Toothpicks work just as well -- maybe even better, because you can leave it stuck into the knitting and they rarely fall out, and of course, it doesn't matter if you lose one!

Blogger Bec said...

Now you tell me!!

Blogger Suse said...

My float, you forgot to add AND SHE WRITES FOUR BLOGS!

Thanks for the tip re the toothpick Jeanne.

(Oh Bec, hi. You're here too.)

Blogger Bec said...

nice of you to notice, Suse...

and it's about to be five when I keep my promise to Surfing Free et al re a shared Aussie Chicks Cafe...

Blogger sara said...

Hi there...thanks for visiting me on my blog! Glad you did because now I've found you!

I'm amazed with anyone who can knit an entire garment, rather than simple, quick accessories. It seems so complicated. So I think I have to cast my vote -- yes, you are an overachiever! But I can live vicariously through you, so looking forward to seeing how the jacket progresses.

Blogger My float said...

Shock, gasp, no, zig zag edging? Sheesh.

Blogger Bec said...

what can I say? my school reports always told me I could do better, too...

Blogger tonypark said...

Knitting? Children's TV? Little pussy cats?

What happened to..

Root
Shoot, or
Marry?

Explain the rules and bring it on...

Along with Tony Blair, George Bush and Osama bin Laden

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer